The community of Wyman Park is a border community that links Hampden
to Roland Park. All of the Wyman Park area was annexed to Baltimore
City in 1888. The general boundaries consist of the area from south
to north between 33rd Street and 40th Streets and west to east from
Keswick Road to Wyman Park. South of 40th Street, garden apartments,
multi-story apartment buildings and single-family residences have
been built. People here tend to relate to the north along 40th Street
and University Parkway and The Johns Hopkins University.
Throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, this land remained
attached to large rural estates, and the only settlement of note
occurred in the adjacent Stony Run valley. Here, along the stream's
west bank, two flour mills once operated. It is believed that one
mill, Ensor's, was located opposite 36th Street.
In the 1870s the Swan Lake Narrow Gauge Railroad (later called
the Baltimore and Lehigh, and still later, the Maryland and Pennsylvania
Railroad) was built along Stony Run. In the last quarter of the
nineteenth century a popular tavern, known as Biddy Rice's Saloon,
operated along the tracks opposite Bottle Hill, upon which sits
the present-day Tudor Arms Apartments.
Most construction took place in the 1920s and continued into the
1960s with the development of several small garden apartments. In
addition, Keswick Nursing Home north of 40th Street has expanded,
while next door Roland Park Place has replaced the Roland Park Country
School. To the east The Johns Hopkins University has slowly expanded
into Wyman Park, and some of the open space has disappeared.
To the west, the expansion of the Zurich facilities and the development
of the Rotunda Shopping Mail have added to the commercialization
of the area. Although the traffic on Keswick Road and 40th Street
has heightened, the convenience of these new shops and offices has
increased the demand for residences in the neighborhood.
Back to Main Neighborhood